Monday, August 14, 2006

Travelogue 10 – Scared in London

An hour and a quarter train ride later I saw the smiling face of V welcoming me. The conversation drifted on many topics and we caught up as much as we could in a short span of three hours. The conversation topic was mainly comparison of the lifestyles on two opposite coasts of Atlantic. V and P did not like many things in this new country! And I could imagine why. The houses are small, getting into leases and maintenance thereafter is complicated and overall lifestyle is expensive. I was told some amazing things – the quality of television programs (that horrible channel called Star News included – I couldn’t agree more), fish being expensive despite of so much of sea around, ease of getting around for P because of buses and trains and such. What came later did not have me prepared. It appears the biggest hobby of many Britons is to get drunk on weekends. They drink copious amounts of beer and get rowdy on the streets. When they are not drunk, they smoke and the wait at the bus stop is like smoking many cigarettes yourself – P told me. On the weekends, brawls and fights on the city roads are not uncommon. Though gun control is strict, happy slapping and stabbing are common. It all depends on the community you live in of course. So, nice houses with less rent are not very exciting because they are usually in a neighborhood that would make you think twice before setting foot out after sunset.

I was shown the spot where a few people have been stabbed since V and P moved in (they do not live close to the spot it just happened to be on the way). But nothing to be scared about – we are not even going in the area! Well, but you guys are scaring me. I have a walk of 20 minutes after I get out of the tube. Ah yes, be careful. You know, take the usual precaution – walk fast, do not make eye contact. Yeah, that was very reassuring.

I did not mind it until I realized something. I took the 2117 train from a station that V described as smaller than Matheran. And small it was. The train arrived on time and I believe I was the only person who got in the train. Afterwards I realized I was all alone in the compartment. Should I be worried? I mean if something happened…there was no one to tell the story! So I moved to another compartment, which was empty too! It was next to the first class compartment and the train attendant was in that area. At least there was other human being. I wasn’t sure if I should be scared that there was someone around or should be scared that there wasn’t anyone around. The twilight was fast fading away and the train kept making its usual stops at times noted in the timetable. I quickly charted my path. Get down at interchange for tube, take District line, and change to Piccadilly line and get down at the destination and walk really fast!

Eventually, I reached the station. A few people did get down and about 10-15 of us walked towards the “Way Out” sign and started walking out. Only three of us walked in the direction I wanted to go. One guy though turned left immediately and then there were two! I increased my pace but realized it was important to maintain a healthy distance between that person and me. But wait – he is turning! And he turned. Now, I was alone on the dual carriageway! No one in front of me as far as I could see. I looked over my shoulder and found someone walking behind me. All right, take a deep breath, walk fast and don’t be scared. The tales of stabbing and happy slapping were very fresh in my memory. I increased the pace of my walk…and did not slow down for a long time. My shins were hurting me and finally I decided to slow down. A man and a woman were seen approaching and I had all the evil sights playing in my mind. But nothing happened! They went their way without acknowledging my presence. Then another man and woman crossed the street over to my side. Well, should I be bothered? Aching shins be damned, I increased my pace again. The couple seemed to be following me – joking and laughing loudly. Okay, just walk fast and get over with this – I said to myself. By now, the lights of the hotel were in sight, but I kept my pace. At last, I reached the hotel – heart racing, shins and lower back aching and sweating profusely – I lingered around the hotel entrance a bit. That couple was still following me. I wiped the sweat off my brow and made as dignified entry in the hotel as possible. I stopped by the front desk to confirm my cab booking and wake up call. No sooner, I am done speaking with the concierge than this couple enters the hotel. Ah, so they were not following me, our destination was just the same! May be they realized why I walked fast, may be they didn’t. If they did, it at least gave them a story to tell their friends back home! From the accent, they seemed Americans. I made it a point to stop and say hi to them. At least, now my fears had no ground! My legs and lower back were still hurting, I needed a shower, but I had only three hours of sleep ahead of me and some packing to do…flight early morning tomorrow and I go home! I couldn’t wait to fall asleep.

No comments: