Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Travelogue 6 – Slow Life in Upper Midwest

Nothing much has changed in the Midwest – the traffic problems, the highway constructions – pretty much the same. Yeah? Yeah betchyaa! Although, I wished I had spent a little more time in Minneapolis downtown and walked in the historic district along the Mississippi.

A trip to the Mall of America

It was mandatory! Only the previous day people said how boring it was to go to the mall. I was told of a new trend; apparently, tourist operators bring people from Paris and London to shop in the Mall of America. People arrive in the afternoon on a Saturday, shop the evening, stay at a hotel that night, shop some more on the Sunday, and return back to work on Monday! Not my idea of fun. And it wasn’t for many people. I was told – don’t even go there, it is just a mall, only imagine a whole lot of it. I should have taken that advice! But, I went their nevertheless and walked around a bit and wondered why did I waste my time? I was so bored over there that I did not even take pictures…

Minnesota in June

I thought since it was almost the end of spring, the weather would be nice. It was for one day. However, the sun soon gave way to clouds and wind. It was so windy that even the blades of grass would sway. The temperature dropped to a cold 57 F and with the wind chill, it felt like 50. I realized what mistake it was to wear shorts and T-Shirt while going to the M of A. I do not want to imagine being caught there in the middle of the winter.

Yoyo championship

The rotunda in the M of A was full of people. And people from the second level were careening over the railing and looking down. Curiosity took over and I also careened over to see what was going on. A bunch of people was sitting on makeshift chairs; a stage was set up and at the other end of the stage a bunch of teenagers waiting for their turn on the stage. The teenager on the stage was swaying a yoyo to the music. My first impression – what a waste! I watched for a few minutes though and realized that only a master can do that. Now if you consider playing a yoyo as waste of time, think again. It was really difficult to do what the teenagers on the stage were doing – making the yoyo dance to the tune of music! You need training to achieve that adroitness! I did not wait to find out who won the competition but it was good entertainment for some time.

No comments: