Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Do you have it in you?

First, there was silence. Then the name did not appear. There were whispers – how come he does not feature in the list? Well, it must already be done. Then there were rumors. He is going away. But no one confirmed. I stopped by his office the other day. We talked about the weather and resources…you can only talk so much about weather and resources. Then there was a pregnant pause.

“You know, I am going, right?”
I acted surprised. I must be good at acting.

How come, why, why now, where to…I asked all the questions that came to my mind.

Well, I am starting something of my own.

He never fails to surprise. He talked very passionately about it.

The plans – they are still on paper. The sponsors – some of my own money, some of my friends’. There are two from US and one from UK. Taking partners together mitigates the risk you know. But it is a start. It’s been going in my mind for some time now. I had to take the plunge sometime, might as well be now. I have to start from everything – the place, the furniture, the contracts, the people…. It is complicated. I am looking for a flat to start with. But it is like Catch 22. If you are starting something in residential complex, you cannot get license under commercial act, if you don’t have a license, you cannot have a bank account and nothing can start without a bank account, can it? There is the need of capital.

“Do you know what this costs”? He asked pointing to the white board. “Well, too much I can say. Ultimately, I got a carpenter, a sheet of plywood, a good glossy sheet and got done 3 white boards and 2 soft boards in the cost of one white board from the market. Everyone thinks I am mad. It is complex Kaustubh. I am very excited, at the same time very scared.” – He did not mince words.

“There are lots of competitors. As many companies start a particular day, same number also goes belly up. But I am prepared for all the eventualities. I am cutting back on all my expenses. I have enough savings to survive for next one year, but I am giving up my car, my club memberships, why have these things now? I can always buy it later again. What do you think?”

I am sure he will succeed. You will be a good competition to us some day – I said.

I couldn’t help but think of the tag line of Indian army – “Do you have it in you?” as I left his office.

No comments: