Friday, July 27, 2007

So, What’s Happenin’?

Long time, no blog…been really busy with work and a short vacation too. Yeah, this blog was on vacation and it did not tell anyone! Well, it was a short but welcome break from the rut. As you may have guessed it, I did not do anything! So, what does really not doing anything mean? Something, actually….

I had gone to my ancestral home in Dombivli. Ancestral because my father bought it when I was in second standard and I lived there until the twelfth, then off again and on again. Dombivli has changed so much, but the persistent humidity that makes your skin sticky, hasn’t. Neither has the claustrophobic, crowded, full of people, bhajiwallas, temperamental electricity, blaring horns. But everything seems to have grown in proportions to the population and everything bursting at seams. The swamps and moors have been taken over by concrete monstrosity. The Hyacinth is gone!

So, apart from cussing and fuming about the humidity, what did I do? Well, nothing. If it makes you feel jealous, here’s what I did – wake up at my time in the morning. Read DNA (I have given up on TOI, but then that is for another post) for a good 3-4 hours, catch up on family gossip, eat, chat (not the computer kind), nap in the afternoon, chat some more, roam around on crowded streets, eat and sleep. With the exception of reading some random stories from I Thought My Father was God (Good book, read it if you get a chance) and some Agatha Christie, nothing much! Of course, there were trips to the Fish Market and sampling some “rainy season only, wild vegetables”. Ah ha, the smell of raw fish – Bombay duck, Paplet (not pomfret), Tarlee and Ravas what more could I ask?

No comments: